Delaware can be hot and humid during spring and summer, so making sure you‘re ready for the steamy times ahead is wise property management. Avoid a malfunction at the most inopportune time and keep your tenants and guests comfortable all season long by performing a little pro-active Commercial HVAC maintenance now.
A properly maintained furnace and central air conditioner can improve energy efficiency, cut fuel and electrical bills and improve indoor air quality. According to the Institute for Building Efficiency, a spring tune up can improve your HVAC system’s energy efficiency by as much as 40 percent.
Often, property managers miss out on energy savings opportunities by failing to properly maintain a building’s HVAC system. Not only does a well-maintained Commercial HVAC unit run at peak performance, it can prolong the lifespan of the system.
Those of us at Asset Management Alliance, a Delaware commercial property management company, suggest you take the following 7 steps to get your HVAC system geared up for the season.
7 Tips to Get Your Commercial HVAC System Ready for the Season:
1. Condenser Unit: Visually inspect the Condenser Unit. Check for and remove any debris that might have made its way into or around the unit to allow for proper airflow. Also, make sure the mechanical parts, such as the fan can move freely and straighten any bent coils.
2. Clean Blower Fan: A buildup of dust, pollen and other debris can restrict the air flow. A clean A/C System will work much more efficiently.
3. Inspect Wiring: Check all wiring for damage, such as burnt wires, loose connections, shorts or rodent nests.
4. Check Refrigerant Levels: If the refrigerant levels are low, check for leaks and repair before adding additional refrigerant.
5. Check Drain Lines: Closely examine the lines for any blockages from mold or mineral deposits; clean out to allow for proper drainage.
6. Evaporator Coils: Clean all coils with warm soapy water as they can become clogged due to infrequent air filter replacement.
7. Replace Filters: Change or Clean your filter every 1-2 months. This helps to prevent unwanted dust and pollens from entering the office which can inhibit the cold air flow and lower your system’s efficiency.
Once all the tasks above have been taken, test out the system to confirm that your air conditioner is in prime condition to get you through this upcoming season. Set your thermostat to a cool temperature to ensure that it is working properly.
Of course, a scheduled maintenance with a qualified professional is a fail-safe way to truly verify that you’re HVAC is ready to take on the hot summer ahead.
Asset Management Alliance has deep roots in the Delaware community helping all types of commercial property owners protect and enhance the value of their investment through employing a diligent and fully vetted management, maintenance and engineering team that is available 24/7 every day of the year.